Internal Deadline: Closed.
Registration Deadline: March 22, 2023, 4pm EDT/8pm GMT (link to register after RII approval is here: https://citi.fluxx.io/apply/Challenge)
External Deadline: 4pm Eastern Daylight Time on April 5, 2023
Award Type: Grant
Estimated Number of Awards: 50
Anticipated Award Amount: $25 million total across 50 organizations.
Who May Serve as PI: Awards are for organizations, not individuals.
• Applicant organizations must be registered as nonprofit entities under local law. For example, for U.S. entities, applicants need to be tax-exempt public charities as per Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
• Applicant organizations must be able to submit at least one year of externally audited financial statements, covering all or part of calendar year 2021.
• Applicant’s proposed program must align with the Foundation’s mission of supporting low-income communities as defined by local standards and definitions.
• Applicant’s proposed program covers one or more of the target geographies:
Algeria, Cameroon, Côte D’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, and Zambia
Asia Pacific Australia, Bangladesh, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Jersey Islands, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Kingdom
Bahrain, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates
Latin America & the Caribbean
Argentina, Bahamas, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad & Tobago, and Uruguay
Canada, Mexico and select U.S. states and territories: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, Virginia, and Washington DC
Process for Limited Submissions
PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Research Initiatives and Infrastructure (RII) Application Portal: https://rii.usc.edu/oor-portal/. Use the template provided here:
Materials to submit include:
- (1) Two-Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 2-page limit will be excluded from review. You must use the template linked above.
- (2) CV – (5 pages maximum)
Note: The portal requires information about the PIs in addition to department and contact information, including the 10-digit USC ID#, Gender, and Ethnicity. Please have this material prepared before beginning this application.
The Citi Foundation announced its first-ever Global Innovation Challenge request for proposal to support community organizations around the world that are developing innovative solutions to advance food security. This inaugural challenge will provide a collective $25 million to 50 organizations working to pilot or expand ideas and projects that are designed to improve food security and reduce the financial burden to low-income families and communities.
The Citi Foundation seeks to award grants of $500,000 to 50 organizations and will prioritize projects in four areas:
Support efforts that increase access to affordable and healthy food to low-income communities.
Address challenges in the food supply chain that lead to positive community benefits, such as the creation of new jobs and businesses.
Improve food affordability through community finance efforts that help reduce the financial burden placed on low-income communities.
Increase the number of available resources that enable low-income communities to more effectively prepare for and respond to disruptions in food security during crises.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for more updates and other announcements.