Internal Deadline: Contact ORIF.
LOI: November 1, 2022
External Deadline: December 1, 2022
Award Type: Cooperative Agreement
Estimated Number of Awards: 8
Anticipated Award Amount: $8,347,500
Who May Serve as PI: Standard NIH requirements.
The NRC Director(s) must be an investigator with demonstrable expertise in their field and who can provide effective administrative and scientific leadership. The NRC Director(s) is expected to work closely with the other NRCs, NCC, and NIDDK, including through participation in the SC, regular teleconference calls and at relevant meetings and workshops supporting the Consortium objectives. One or more Associate Directors may be named, and their roles should be specified and justified. The NRC Director(s) will be responsible for the following duties, that include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining the NRC’s vision and ensuring that all NRC resources are shared with the national research community immediately upon validation to advance kidney research.
- Ensuring communication and cooperation among the NRCs, NCC, associated NIDDK Programs, and NIDDK Program Staff.
- Internal monitoring to ensure efficient and productive NRC operations, including performance of all personnel, budget, policy, collaboration, research conflicts or others, as needed.
- Representing the NRC at all Consortium meetings including the SC and external oversight groups (the CMB).
Process for Limited Submissions
PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://rii.usc.edu/oor-portal/.
Materials to submit include:
- (1) Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
- (2) CV – (5 pages maximum)
Note: The portal requires information about the PIs and Co-PIs in addition to department and contact information, including the 10-digit USC ID#, Gender, and Ethnicity. Please have this material prepared before beginning this application.
The NRCs will provide kidney researchers with specialized resources, tools, technologies, services, and expertise beyond those typically available in an individual lab or institutional core.
In particular, the NRCs will:
- Select a theme, focused on a fundamental challenge in kidney research, and propose unique resources to address that challenge.
- Work collaboratively to share these specialized kidney resources, tools, technologies, services, and expertise, and to support and expand the national pool of investigators pursuing kidney research.
- Identify emerging trends and anticipate the changing needs of the national kidney research community.
- Promote the development and implementation of new research resources to meet these national needs and spur innovation.
- Educate the community about kidney research and run a summer student enrichment program.
- Include investigators from a broad range of scientific disciplines and expertise.
- Include investigators and fellows from diverse backgrounds. See the Notice of NIH’s Interest in Diversity (NOT-OD-20-031).
- Attract investigators from fields not traditionally involved in kidney research.
To accomplish these objectives, the Consortium will consist of ~8 NRCs. Each NRC must have:
- an Administrative Core to lead, manage, and harmonize all aspects of the NRC and facilitate close collaboration with the other NRCs and the NCC.
- a maximum of two Biomedical Resource Core(s) to share specialized kidney resources, tools, technologies, services, and expertise to address a fundamental challenge in kidney research.
- a Resource Development Core to continually develop new and improved research resources to be shared by the Biomedical Resource Core(s).
It is expected that every level of NRC leadership will consist of diverse scientific expertise. Inclusion of key personnel from backgrounds underrepresented in science is always encouraged.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for more updates and other announcements.